Tuesday, August 2, 2011

In search of a blue sky


Summer this year happened in May, for the second year running. I am not usually affected by the weather but I am curious about why we have had a great wodge of grey tending to black clouds hanging around for days even when it doesn't rain. True there is talk of a heatwave this month but for my part I'd be happy just to see pure blue sky one morning getting up.

Spent yesterday in the company of a Buddhist monk who was an unworldly person exuding terrific charisma from the folds of his saffron robe. I was offered the chance to rest after lunch and despite the deep smell of damp in the room I lay down pulled an old blanket over me and fell asleep for half an hour to be woken by a bell. After a day of silent meditation, I felt much more mentally alert in the evening at home.

So the major excitement of the day has been the arrival of a package from Amazon which contains among other goodies the next book club choice a Skandi thriller. Compare this with my poor old chums in Belfast who have to wade their way through Gore Vidal's Lincoln for their next get together...

Looking forward to getting into the garden later - peas and broad beans podding regularly, cream begonias have bloomed into bridal loveliness. Just needs some hoeing and weeding. And watering. And it would look really good under a blue sky so that we could feature the stripey deck chairs imported from Wicklow.

No comments:

Post a Comment